Manager, Communications, California
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ policy priorities include a focus on California water management policies and funding mechanisms, a focus on California climate policies including carbon pricing, renewable energy policies and clean transportation policies. To advance these policies, Ceres deploys businesses and investors as advocates and public opinion makers.
The Manager, Communications, California will to lead and execute on climate and water communications planning, implementation and targeted media outreach. The Manager, Communications will facilitate, support and deploy corporate/investor media spokespeople in California. Working with Ceres California Office staff, the Manager will develop marketing, earned media and social media strategies and contribute to building and deepening the leadership of Ceres’ companies and investors. This is a full-time position, based in our San Francisco office and will report to the Director, California Policy and Partnerships. There will be a dotted line relationship to the Communications Team in Boston.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Development of a communications and targeted media strategy to support Ceres’ California policy priorities.
• Write and place op eds, blogs and other media pieces for Ceres’ staff, business or investor leaders, coordinating with the Boston Communications team.
• Coordinate and collaborate with the Communications team in Boston to ensure a strong organizational strategy, that supports the California strategy and messaging.
• Develop a media contact list of reporters, editors in print, television and radio news outlets. Conduct regular media briefings and editorial board meetings to engage media around key issues or legislative campaigns.
• Manage relationships with West Coast media outlets for all of Ceres programs.
• Develop the “speakers bureau” of Ceres’ company and investor representatives.
• Facilitate business and investor participation in media strategy.
• Prepare social media for staff and Ceres’ businesses and investors (Tweets, posts, videos, photographs)
• Provide media support for Ceres annual conference, other events, and campaigns, including creating new pages, updating speakers, sponsors and program information for Ceres’ website.
• In partnership with Boston-based Communications Team, develop and implement strategies to build the Ceres brand in California.
• Develop marketing materials such as fact sheets, program brochures and PowerPoint templates.
• In coordination with Boston-based Communications Team, provide copy-editing support for CA Office materials.
• Bachelor degree, required. Graduate degree, preferred.
• 5 years of work experience in communications, required.
• Experience developing media and communications strategies
• Strong writing and research skills with experience writing for public media.
• Experience with designing public communications that speak to various audiences.
• Demonstrated interest in environmental or sustainability issues, preferred.
• Existing relationships with California press corps, preferred.
• Experience managing relationships with external constituents.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to evaluate workload and prioritize projects.
• Strong project management and planning skills
• Able to direct and implement multiple projects at the same time.
• Able to work well independently and as a team member.
• Experience managing people and delegating work to others.
• Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
• Desire to work in a mission-driven / nonprofit environment.
How to Apply
Candidates are asked to visit the Ceres website www.ceres.org to make themselves familiar with our organization. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 1 writing sample (a published article with you as the principle author) and 1 sample communications plan or campaign media strategy, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on The Root