Grants Manager, Finance
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Grants Manager is a full-time position, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer in Ceres’ Finance Department. This position will be located in Boston, MA.
The Grants Manager is housed in the Finance and works closely with the Development team and program staff. The Grants Manager will manage foundation grant budgets, with a primary focus on the Climate and Energy and the Policy teams. Responsibilities include the development of proposal budgets, monitoring of grant expenses, and timely and accurate financial reporting to foundation funders. The Grants Manager will also contribute to the development of annual team budgets.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Develop budgets for foundation proposals.
• Work closely with development, finance and program staff to develop foundation proposal budgets to support the Climate and Energy and Policy teams.
• Work with others on the Finance team to align Ceres’ Staff Allocation Schedule with foundation proposal budgets.
• Ensure accuracy of grant direct expenses through regular updating of typical direct expense costs, such as consultant rates, and clearly identifying in each proposal specific activities those costs support.
• Understand state-specific lobbying requirements and limits to ensure grant budgets are accounting for lobbying effort.
• Compile all financial-related documents required in support of funding proposals.
Process incoming grants.
• Revise proposal budgets and initiative budgets to reflect the actual award and any revenue-driven expense as needed.
• Coordinate with program and development staff to ensure awards are properly allocated to program initiatives.
• Review grant agreements and create and distribute grant coversheets that summarize information pertinent to the grant (deliverables, grant period, reporting deadlines, special requirements, lobbying provisions, etc.)
• Update Salesforce grant tracking system with new deliverable data
Create interim and final financial reports for foundation funders.
• Work with the Controller to develop and implement monthly initiative-based budget to actuals reports with high-level analysis to inform development and program staff regarding the pace of spending.
Work with program directors and other finance staff to monitor annual program budgets for the Climate and Energy and Policy teams.
• Review monthly financial reports for the Climate and Energy and the Policy team initiatives and work with program directors on budget revisions as necessary.
• Inform development staff of funding gaps that need to be filled.
• Bachelor degree, required.
• 5 years of relevant finance or budget experience.
• Strong Excel skills, including experience with pivot tables, strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of Intacct Accounting system, preferred.
• Ability to translate financial information to program staff, and programmatic strategies to finance staff.
• Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications. Salesforce experience a plus.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Interest in building new systems and structures and training staff.
• Experience working with diverse personalities and educating staff about finances and accounting, preferred.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
• Sound judgment, appreciation of sensitivities of financial information, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
• Interest in climate and sustainability issues, preferred.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on The Root